top of page

Open Burn Permits

Open burning is the practice of burning unwanted vegetation and other types of waste in the outdoors, and is regulated by the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ). To promote safe and proper disposal of waste vegetation and other unwanted materials, Arizona has open burning requirements.

An Open Burn Permit is needed for open outdoor fires for the purposes of weed abatement, prevention of a fire hazard or instruction in the methods of fighting fires, unless conducted by a public officer in the performance of an official duty.

Open Burn Permit FAQ's

Why do I need a Burn Permit?

In most cases, when burning materials in the open, an Open Burn Permit from ADEQ is required by law. These laws are intended to help protect the public from smoke impacts.

Unless specifically exempted by the rule, persons setting outdoor fires must obtain a permit from ADEQ or a delegated permitting authority. Two types of open burn permits are issued in Arizona: Normal and Dangerous Materials.

What type of material does not require a permit?

Outdoor cooking fires and small recreational or warming fires do not require a permit. All other burning requires a permit as issued by Duncan Valley Rural Fire District or ADEQ.

What is the cost?

Open burn permits are FREE of charge.

Inside Fire District Boundaries

By delegated authority of Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ), the Duncan Valley Rural Fire District is authorized to issue burn permits for residents within the District's boundaries only.


Burn permits are only available during "Open Burn Periods". Burn Period 1 covers January 1st through May 31st. Burn Period 2 typically begins September 1st and covers through December 31st. 


Pursuant to the International Fire Code and A.R.S. 49-501, 13-1706, and [A.A.C. R18-2-602.D.3] Burning shall be done only where other methods of residue disposal are impractical or unsatisfactory.

Outside Fire District Boundaries

All burn permit applications for residents outside the Duncan Valley Rural Fire District's boundaries must apply for open burn permits directly to ADEQ.

For more information, visit

bottom of page